Sunday 17 August 2014

The Great Gatsby Book Review

I've recently got back into reading again (I haven't read a book properly in about a year!) and read The Great Gatsby I actually really enjoyed it. The first chapter is quite difficult to get into, but stick with it because it is a very good book and it's short too (less than 200 pages) so won't take long to read!
The Great Gatsby book
One of the things I love about the book is the description, when talking about the parties the description is incredible enough to create a vivid picture of the scene in my head. "In his blue gardens men and girls came and went like moths among the whisperings and the champagne and the stars." I just think it's such a unique and original way to describe the party and the coming and going of guests, just beautiful - and this sort of vivid description flows through the entire book!

I also love how the author (F. Scott Fitzgerald) writes in a way that is quite poetic yet truthful and as a result many of the books phrases and lines are used as quotes. My favourites are:

"That's the best thing a girl can be in this World a beautiful fool"

"Gatsby looked at Daisy in a way that every young girl wanted to be looked at"

"Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead"
The Great Gatsby quotes
The famous last sentence of the book!
If you haven't seen the film I'd really recommend it! I love the costumes and the music in it and obviously Leonardo DiCaprio and Carey Mulligan are both very good! I'll leave the trailer here: 
If you haven't read the book or watched the film I'd really recommend them!

Abi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for leaving me a message! Expect a reply soon!:)