Saturday 17 January 2015

REVIEW: The Imitation Game

Source
Last year the town down the road from me was buzzing: there was so much traffic and a lot of delays and  it looked as though it was a town from decades ago, the reason: they were filming The Imitation Game (eek!) A few of the local boys I know were actually extras in the film too (in the flashback scenes from the school) so that was super cool to know!

I've always been a fan of biopics and films based on real events so wanted to watch this when I saw the trailer a few months ago. The film is based on the life of Alan Turing who was a great mathematician and computer scientist and during the Second World War worked for the British Government to break German ciphers (codes). I can't really say much more than that without spoiling the film, but the film does explore Turing's relationships and sexuality which is nice as it allows the film to be more accessible to people (like me) who don't really understand coding and Enigma. 

Benedict Cumberbatch plays a very convincing Turing with mood swings and varied emotions displayed throughout the course of the 114 minute film. If you're a Downton Abbey fan (also like me!) you'll recognise Allen Leech who plays John (plays Tom in Downton) in the film and is also another very interesting character...

The film has been nominated for a whopping 8 Oscars including Best Motion Picture, Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role and Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role. I'd really recommend this film to anybody who loves biopics, Benedict Cumberbatch or anything to do with World War Two!

Abi :)

12 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this actually sounds brilliant. Will have to give it a watch soon. thanks for the great post x
    Stefanie | Casualllyawkward | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good! Aw thankyou, I love the name of your blog haha! Abi :)

      Delete
  2. I love Benedict because he always puts his heart into a role and goes out of his way to research his roles. I saw an interview about this film and Alan Turing's life sounded so interesting and yet so tragic. Really want to see this one!

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's so good when actors do that! I know tragic indeed the ending is somewhat numbing! Go for it! Abi :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome review, thanks for sharing! <3

    I have a new outfit post up on the blog, would love to know your thoughts;

    * Electric Sunrise - Fashion and Lifestyle Blog *

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to see this movie so, so bad! I was going to go see it over my winter break, but for some reason the theater at home wasn't showing it. Now I have to wait until I get some free time from homework :/ But I am determined to go see it soon!

    Katie @ paperbackplanes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sadly didn't get to see this in the cinema but heard so many good things about it :) x

    www.hello-cat.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got back from seeing it and I loved it so much!
    Such an incredible and moving film
    Estelle x - Let Me Go Xo

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for leaving me a message! Expect a reply soon!:)